Saturday 19 January 2008

It's the SupaMuthaFkinVillain ya'heard…





Words by GiT

Beef Rap plays in the background as I try to gather my thoughts, but I can't help but get sucked in, it samples the Doom march from the 80's Spiderman animated series, my introduction to Spiderman, and my favourite supervillain Dr.Doom. Must… concentrate…..

As a kid I couldn't afford to buy comics, I had to read what I could around mates' houses, and the only cartoons I saw were those on terrestrial TV. It says a lot for the power of Spiderman and Marvel that with the minimal exposure I got, I'm still hooked to this day. So much so, that I left a cushy 9-5 to come work at a place where I can indulge my Marvel madness to my hearts content. Spiderman & Marvel aren't top of my lists of likes though, that spot is securely taken by all things musical, so you can imagine my excitement when in the year 2000 (a year after it's release) I stumbled across an LP named 'Operation Doomsday.' The cover features Dr.Doom holding a mic, I had to buy it there & then even though I knew nothing about the MC.

I sacked off everything I had to do that day, went to see Quinton then quickly hurried home. From that day on Hip-Hop changed drastically for me, for the better that is. It was only many months later that I made the connection that this was actually Zev Love X from KMD, already an established favourite of mine. Most people into Hip-Hop are now aware of who MF DOOM is, his background, the beef with Grimm & M.I.C, his discography and the loss of his brother, so I won't bore you with all the details.

What I wanna talk about is the cheeky, nah scratch that, the arrogant genius of the man & his new strategy. I first became aware of this new ploy whilst reading the stonesthrow message board STMB, it seems he ain't been turning up to his shows. Worse still, it's been reported that not only has he no showed, but he's sent an impostor in his place. Not only do you pay for a show where the MC doesn't show, but he sends an impostor that lip syncs to a cd, bare faced cheek.

Let it be known that a lot of message boards are filled with whiney little bitches, you can imagine the response that this line of action from DOOM got. Ok fair enough, I wouldn't be best pleased if I'd spent my hard earned money to see a show and the act didn't turn up, but you have to love the genius of it. This is the same man who was selling 'collectors edition' paper masks at his shows, all marked on the reverse with '001 of a 1000 run', you can't help but love that. And this new strategy is a villainy masterpiece, whilst he's kicking back plotting his next act of debauchery, his impostor army are out gathering funds to further finance more sinful deeds.

'Why am I so amused by this' you might ask..? Because, he's DOOM, he's the baddest villain the world has ever known, what else would you expect from him? Free sweets with every LP, hell no, you're more likely to take off the shrink wrap and get blasted with toxic gas. Many rappers have taken on personas, but has anybody ever immersed themselves in it so thoroughly before..??? I think not… I can't help but recall the line when DOOM raps to his deceased brother Subroc 'everything's going according to plan man'. Is this another stage to the villains dastardly plot..??? Will DOOM take the world by storm with his forthcoming 'DOOMposter' LP. Who knows, one things for sure, I'll be getting a legitimate copy, I'm happy to fund this brand of villainy… 'Stay tuned for more spine tingling adventures of……'

No comments: