Sunday 9 May 2010

**EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW**



Interview with Akala, weds 28th April 2010-04-30

By Mamasupreme

Album Launch @ East Village

As I walked into the packed bar, I could feel the vibrations from the incredible sound system, and I in the distance I could see a young man rocking out on stage.

Akala’s performance was fast, furious & raw. His sound is really rocky, which mixes so fluidly with is incredible rapping skills. I was very pleasantly surprised, as this was the first time I’ve seen him perform his own music. The last time I saw him was at Shakespeare Hip Hop, a government funded charity helping kids to learn about Shakespeare, where he also blew me away.

Well onto the interview :

Congratulations Akala, how does it feel ?

Really good, amazing, pleased.

Your single XXL, I get the msg it sends out, let’s hear your actual msg to the boys & girls listening to your music.

I’m talking about the fact that how commercial Hip Hop has become & now has an inaccurate stereotype. It’s very clear, watch it on youtube, as it’s not going to be shown on tv!

How has your journey been musically, when did u start, what were the influences in your large family?

Music has been part of me since birth, my mum has always had lots of music around, Niomi & I used to put on performances for our Mum constantly as well!

Apart from u both, any other talents in the fam?

Watch this space, they’re on the way!

How has your sound changed over the yrs?

It’s getting broader, I’m thinking outside of the box more & more. I’ve created my own show & my own style & it’s getting better.

Where should we expect to see you this year.

A lot of festivals, and basically all over the UK this year! Next major gig is on Friday 28th May at the Roundhouse, Camden where's I'll be rinisin it out with the likes of DJ Luck and MC Neat, Lazy Habits, Izzi Dunn (Gorrilaz, Roots Manuva), and swing hop duo The Correspondents.

Also check out myspace page for more UK gig details.

Explain your sound in 3 words :

Rap/ Rock/ Electro

Tell me about Hip Hop Shakespeare, has it had the desired effect?

What are your plans for this in the future?

Hip Hop Shakespeare is a permanent part of my life.

I have a tremendous duty to educate the young people. I want to change their perception of Shakespeare with the influence of hip hop.

It’s a great feeling to be inspiring young, impressionable people.

What does the future hold?

LET THE UNIVERSE DECIDE.

Let the energy guide me, I am pleased with my journey & I want to continue to learn…




Akala's new single XXL is causing quite a stir....Have a listen, see what you think?

No comments: